The Baku International Architecture Award is an open, biennial award organised by the Ministry of Culture of the Republic of Azerbaijan and the Union of Architects of Azerbaijan with the support of the International Union of Architects (UIA).
On the recommendation of the International Union of Architects (UIA), this edition of the Award will be held in conjunction with the International Architectural Forum "Mass Tourism in Historical Cities", and therefore some changes have been made to the objectives and categories of the Award.
The main objective of the award is to recognize projects (both proposed and realised) that exemplify excellent design practices and responsible planning, design and development for tourism in places of heritage and historical significance. This could include new facilities to accommodate tourists, to interpret or expose places and sites of historical significance, and the adaptive reuse of existing buildings for purposes related to tourism.
Entries are invited in the following categories:
• A – best-implemented project in the architecture of tourist facilities;
• B – best project undertaken in the field of rehabilitation and reconstruction of historic buildings and sites;
• C – best-implemented restoration of historic interiors;
• D – best-implemented rehabilitation of a site in the field of landscape architecture;
• E – best non-realised project in the field of restoration and reconstruction of buildings;
• F – best publication in the field of the use of historical heritage for tourism purposes
Architects duly qualified for architectural practice in their country of residence may participate in the Award. Each participant can submit only one project for each category and participation is free of charge.
Questions and Answers
All questions concerning the Award procedure should be sent to the following e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org. Questions and their replies will be e-mailed by the UAA to all participants.
The working languages of the competition
The working languages of the competition: Azerbaijani, Russian and English.
The submission materials for participation in the Award procedure are as follows:
• A Registration Form filled in by Participant (in block letters, readable);
• information on the author (or author group) (authors first name, name, patronymic, phone numbers, addresses, passport details, copy of diploma in architecture;
• plans, facades, photographs of the project, graphic materials will be presented on 80x100 cm format boards (vertical orientation), 2 maximum:
- on a thin hard ground - for local architects;
- in electronic format pdf. - for foreign architects;
- projects are presented under identification codes (the letter corresponding to the nomination and six-digit set of numbers) placed in the upper right corner of all materials;
• short explanatory text - 2 A4 format pages maximum in English;
• applicants for awards in categories F must provide a summary in English, approximately 300 words.
• all applicants are required to include a statement that to the effect that their submission has not been previously recognized at the Baku International Architecture Awards.
• Without the electronic version the work will not be accepted! All projects (in pdf. format) and all entries shall be e-mailed to email@example.com.
• The organizers of the Competition take it on to print out projects for foreign architects. For this, you must send your work to the email address firstname.lastname@example.org and make payment for the printing costs in the amount of 35 euros (per 1 board) to the current account
The prize fund of 45,000 AZN, has been established by the organizers.
The prize fund will be awarded in the various categories as follows:
First prize of 4000 AZN;
Second prize of 2500 AZN;
Third prize of 1000 AZN
For evaluation of award projects, a highly professional and objective international jury will be appointed comprising:
• Vassilus Sgoutas, UIA Former President (Greece)
• Esa Mohamed, UIA Immediate Past President (Malaysia)
• Catherine Jacquot, Immediate Past President of the CNOA (France)
• Vity Nsalambi, Chair of the Education Commission of the Africa Union of Architects (Angola)
• Elbay Gasim-Zada, Chairman of the Union of Architects of Azerbaijan
Members of the international jury may not participate in the award and may not have any contact with the participants. Only the organisers of the Award may answer participants’ questions. The international jury can validly conduct its work in the presence of at least 2/3 of its members.
The jury will review all entries and eliminate those that do not meet the requirements listed above.
The decisions of the jury are taken by simple majority, in a manner determined by the jury itself. In the event of a tied vote, the chairman of the international jury will have the casting vote.
The International Jury shall be the only arbiter in all stages of the adjudication up to the awarding of the prizes.
The organizers of the competition, may invite experts, and the consultants will comply with the confidentiality of the jury, and without the right to vote.
Deadline for submitting questions: 01.05.2019
Deadline for the reception of entries: 20.05.2019
International jury: 08.06.2019 - 09.06.2019
Announcement of the results: 10.06.2019
Works by national participants will be presented by no later than 20.05.2019, 18:00, Republic of Azerbaijan, Baku, Union of Architects of Azerbaijan at 24 Murtuza Muxtarov Street. Foreign participants’ submissions will be e-mailed to email@example.com by 10.05.2019 at the latest.
The Award procedure and regulations will be published on the official website of the Union of Architects of Azerbaijan www.uaa.az
The UIA will also publish the Award announcement through its international communication network.
Organisation of exhibition and issue of a catalogue of all works presented to the competion
An exhibition of all the works presented will be organized and will be open to the public during the Award and work of the jury. All of the awarded and recommended projects will be published in the catalogue.